Senior R & D Chemist
Monday – Friday
Short Term Disability
Long Term Disability
A Senior Research and Development Chemist is an experienced researcher/formulator who combines technical knowledge and innovation when formulating a variety of personal care products, cosmetics and OTC products (sunscreens and anti-acne) from concept to finished products based on customers’ requests. Shows the ability to look at different brands’ gaps and develop products based on those gaps or customer specification. The Senior R&D Chemist II demonstrates strong leadership and communication skills that are utilized within the organization and with external customers.
- Responsible for initiating project concepts, developing objectives, planning and assigning priorities, and completing multiple projects under minimal supervision.
- Independently investigate/resolve research problems/scale up issues.
- Communicate with customers on technical aspects as well as regulatory and performance.
- Utilize and follow relevant legal requirements, regulations and product development standards.
- Determine and perform appropriate cost reductions (raw materials).
- Scale-up of approved formulations, to include identification of critical process variables.
- Troubleshoot production issues and address batch variations.
- Set product specifications and write compounding procedures.
- Supervise and coordinate pilot batches.
- Provide paperwork for new formulas and new raw materials to operations.
- Provide specifications and other information to QC to receive and test new ingredients and finished goods.
- Research product formulations and properties and interactions of raw materials.
- Vendor research for raw materials.
- Compose and check ingredient lists, QQs and artwork
- Interpret results of laboratory findings and assess risks involved in new products and communicate findings to sales and upper management.
- Remain up to date and current on trends in the retail market and trends on formulations materials, ingredients, etc.
- Training, mentoring and supervising lab staff (permanent and temporary).
- Other duties as assigned.
- Advanced formulation skills and technical knowledge
- Thorough understanding of FDA regulations and cGMP’s
- Drives creative research and strategic recommendations for product development
- Able to translate consumer insights into actionable recommendations to achieve exceptional consumer satisfaction
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects, in a fast-paced environment under short deadlines, tolerance for business ambiguity; the ability to thrive under quickly changing situations; adaptable, with ability to meet short turnaround times.
- Methodological mindset to test new ideas and work towards valid results.
- Proven ability to manage external suppliers and ensure top value and performance for the organization
- Self-motivated and able to operate independently, as well as work effectively with others
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- High level of initiative, innovation, critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work cross-functionally & at all levels within the organization including senior leadership
- Exceptional attention to detail and high level of accuracy & organization
- Ability to work as part of a team and excel independently in fast-paced environment
- Ability to adapt quickly to changing policies and procedures
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Proficient with Microsoft Office
Required Education and Experience
- BS in Chemistry, Cosmetic Science, Physical Chemistry, Chemical Engineering or related sciences with 8+ years of formulating personal care products
- -OR- advanced degree in cosmetic chemistry and more than 6 years’ experience.
Preferred Education and Experience
- PhD or Master’s Degree in Chemistry, Cosmetic Science, Chemical Engineering or related field
- 10+ years of experience in formulation of personal care products
Bell International Laboratories provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.