R & D Manager
Monday – Friday
8am – 5pm
Short Term Disability
Long Term Disability
The R&D Manager is responsible for leading efforts involved in new product/process development and improvements with direct responsibility for some projects. This position initiates, evaluates plans, directs, executes, implements, and reports on activities related to the development of new products, improvements, or cost savings ideas. This position carries with it the responsibility to mentor team members and grow their capabilities for contributing to the organization while coordinating and managing the efforts of the R&D team.
- Leads R&D team in the technical aspects of product development through the investigation, planning, execution, evaluating and reporting on new product / process development improvement and troubleshooting projects.
- Independently initiates, investigates, and implements significant new formulations, process improvements, and cost savings projects.
- Assists formulation chemists on portions of project to ensure completion of the department’s high priority projects and critical non-project work. Advises, directs, coaches, inspires, and reviews the work of less experienced formulation chemists on complex projects.
- Acts as a technical consultant to all operating units of the company on formulation / processing issues related to assigned projects / products.
- Completes technical assessments for evaluation of new product / process opportunities.
- Evaluates and makes recommendations concerning the application of new ingredient / processing technologies. Stays apprised of technologies used by other contract manufacturers by reviewing technical literature, attending seminars, and maintaining contact with suppliers. Evaluates applicability of those technologies within the organization.
- Uses problem solving process in project and non-project/administrative work.
- Develops and maintains project plans, identifying critical paths and resources required.
- Maintains an accurate record of work activities in lab notebooks: objectives of test, accurate formulas, processing conditions, required equipment and equipment setup.
- Attends classes/seminars to improve technical, interpersonal, and managerial skills. Shares learning and applies learning to work assignments.
- Develops personal goals, actively pursuing career and skill development.
- Assists in development of business goals for team members – individually and collectively.
- Questions processes, procedures, and policies. Fully investigates, develops, and presents alternatives for implementation.
- Develops understanding of any processes new to the organization; evaluates whether portions of that process are applicable to other products/projects.
- Proficient in principles of statistical analysis, cosmetics chemistry, hair and skin care/SPF processing, problem solving, and resource management.
- Identifies opportunities and exhibits high energy and willingness to be involved.
- Develops contingency plans.
- Able to prepare specifications, label declarations and formulations with no technical errors.
- Demonstrates business knowledge by leading discussion and direction on project work with the organization and determining effects of department work on total financial picture.
- Demonstrates competence by providing sound guidance to the R&D team and demonstrating operational autonomy and influencing strategic direction.
- Thorough understanding of FDA regulations and cGMP’s
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work cross-functionally & at all levels within the organization including senior leadership
- Ability to prioritize multiple responsibilities and manage deadlines accordingly.
- Communicate effectively and professionally both internally and externally.
Required Education and Experience
- B.S. in Chemistry, Biology or Cosmetics Science
- Demonstrated track record of hiring, developing and training high performing teams of scientist and engineers
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in product development
- Minimum of 3 years in R&D management
Preferred Education and Experience
- Master’s Degree or PhD in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering or related field
- 10+ years of experience in formulation of personal care products
Bell International Laboratories provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.